Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Slip inside the eye of your mind

Hello everyone

Hope all is well

Sorry once again, only just noticed that i'd not updated the blog for 2 weeks.

So since we last spoke, lots has happened. Mainly, the most exciting part of the las 2 weeks was having my parents come to visit Kansas City for the first time. It was absolutely brilliant to see them for the first time in 5 months. They were staying just off the plaza and after speaking to Mom on the phone, we arranged to meet by the fountain on the plaza. I recognized them both straight away, basically because of Mom's huge handbag and Dad's usual attire of a tucked in white shirt (thankfully not 1 of his bad shirts). As I approached them I felt a huge sense of relief and comfort, but was then recognized by a Sporting fan who stood right in my vision of them both. It was like something from the movies, you know, the finally get to see something or someone after so long and then out of nowhere, 1 last obstacle arrives. I had no problem with him, had a quick chat and signed something for him, but in my mind it was like..... 'alright mate, jog on please'.

After finally welcoming Mom and Dad to the plaza, I took them to O'Dowds for a few drinks and a catch up. It was an early night for us all in the end, but good to see them.

Friday was an interesting day. For once we had a half day in the office as our HR lady, Christie had organized a 'family day' (perfect timing). Firstly I took them to Swope Park training facility to watch the press conference and after that, the office BBQ began outside. Despite the rain, lots of people came over to say hello to Mom and Dad and we stayed there to socialize for a couple of hours and once the weather took a turn for the better, I took them down to Power & Light (downtown). Brennan, a friend of mine who'd met Mom and Dad at Swope Park joined us at Johny's Tavern, McFadden's and another bar where my Dad rode 'the bull'. Corey, another friend, joined us as we made our way to Westport where lots of my good friends, Dan, Adam, Brian, Justin and lots more (you know who you are) got to meet 'the rents'. I'm afraid I can't tell you anymore about that night because I can't remember.............. I think they enjoyed their first night in KC.

Ouch, was all I could say the next day, which was basically a right off. I spent most of the day walking around the house feeling sorry for my hungover self, listening to the opening day of the EPL. I met Mom and Dad and took them to 1 of my favorite spots in KC, a cracking little bar called 'The Well' in the evening. After a short stop elsewhere, an early night was had. These guys were killing me!

Sunday was a lot more relaxed as Adam, Corey, Dad and I went to play golf at Swope Memorial. Its safe to say, I was bad as per usual, but really bad this time because the old man beat me! After golf, we went down to KONA on the plaza for a bite to eat.

Monday came and things started to get busy as we prepared for the visit of the Portland Timbers. Tuesday was much of the usual voice overs and research but then I met Mom and Dad down the plaza and found a few new bars which I didn't know about. I then took them to 'Jack Stacks' as I insisted they tried the local delicacy; which went down well.

Then came game day and the main attraction of Mom and Dad's visit. After the usual production meeting in the morning I continued to look up notes, stats and facts during the day before Mom and Dad arrived. Once they did I took them on a tour of the stadium, which was to their liking very much. It was very odd but strangely satisfying to see them both behind the camera I was in front of. During the call we had a special guest, Erik, who was a Sporting KC super fan (thankfully). We enjoyed having him on for the brief spell and hope he and his son had a great afternoon. Dad then joined Jake and I for the call. Once again it was very odd. I remember saying 'another great chance there Dad' and feeling very very strange. I know Dad enjoyed his time on the call and also got a bit of face time as well as a compliment or 2 on twitter.

Thursday was their last night in KC and we once again ended up at 'The Well' and then our new hangout 'Quintons'. We finally said our goodbyes late in the evening. It was sad to see them both leave, but I know they had a fantastic time and I can't wait to see them and the whole family in December back in the UK.

Friday was busy as the prep started for Sporting's biggest game of the season so far against DC United. What a fantastic result against the fellow Eastern Conference rival. Sporting now 2nd in the East and I see no reason why we can't finish top, but also, there are several banana skins coming their way as well.

Can I just once again take this opportunity to thank everyone who voted for me in the MLS announcers poll. I had no idea this was even happening and was made aware via a tweet. Its nice to be considered amongst the best announcers in the league, but I must be honest. I'd like that number 1 spot next year haha. Thanks to everyone who voted once again, really appreciate it.




  1. If you ever find yourself needing to drive across Missouri, there's a Quinton's in Columbia too. They have a fantastic deck on the roof.

  2. Updates please Cal. We want to hear how you are doing and what you are experiencing!